Are you planning an implementation with mObywatel? Use our experience
mObywatel has already been downloaded more than 10 million times, the Ministry of Digital Affairs reported. The application - once the new law comes into force - is likely to become the most popular in Poland.
On 30 March 2023, the Senate passed the law on the mObywatek application. The new law will enable the use of digital documents on a par with an ID card. This is a major opportunity to streamline online and offline processes.
The bill with the Senate amendments will be voted on again in the Sejm. The act will remove the restrictions that app users face today, mainly in the offline (onsite) world. The mobile document will be able to be presented just like a traditional ID card is presented today. We will be able to use mObywatel in an office, when visiting a bank, when buying telecommunication services and in any other situation that requires identification. The exception will be border crossings - at least until mObywatel becomes one of the European Digital Wallets.
The new law is likely - according to the Ministry of Digital Affairs - to come into force this autumn.
Verify the document
The legislation indicates three methods of document verification:
● visual - which involves verifying the image and data as on a traditional document,
● functional - which adds to the visual verification by performing a specific action (e.g. moving from desktop to application, switching between documents, checking certificate status),
● cryptographic - using software - e.g. the mWeryfikator application or the mObywatel Backsystem server solution.
The legislator leaves the choice of method to the verifiers. However, it is hard to imagine a situation in which a notary would rely solely on the visual method when drawing up a deed of sale of a flat. Hard verification can also be expected in the case of financial services.
An opportunity for institutions
- The roll-out of mObywatel opens a new chapter in institutions' relations with clients, asserts Paweł Szulakowski, CEO of Data Force Group. - The application will allow us to take onsite processes to a new level, offering - in addition to document verification - the possibility to transfer specific data, he adds.
● A user of mObywatel, when visiting an office, can confirm their data while handing them over to fill in a form. In this way, he will avoid mistakes and the Clerk will not have to transcribe information from the application into the system.
● At the electronics shop - in one process - he will verify his identity and submit the data necessary to obtain an instalment loan.
● At the first visit to the clinic - he will verify his data and provide the information necessary to set up a patient card.
● On his/her next visit to the clinic - he/she will scan the QR code placed on the registration window and thus confirm his/her visit. In response, he/she can receive information on which surgery the doctor will see him/her.
● When renewing a telephone or Internet subscription contract, he/she will confirm his/her identity and update his/her registration data.
● When obtaining a city card, he/she will confirm his/her first name, surname and PESEL number, but will also provide a photo from his/her identity card.
mObywatel will also be helpful when using online services. For example, on the website of a shop, bank, office or in the domain-specific mobile application of a telecoms operator or a clinic. As today, mObywatel is used in online processes by PZU, PEKAO S.A., VeloBank or eTax Office.
Formalities and technology
Currently, the most popular tool for cryptographic document verification is mWeryfikator. The application works offline by default and is only available for smartphones.
- Business and institutional users, in addition to offline solutions, can use server-based solutions. An institution that wants to verify documents or build services based on the data provided online establishes a formal cooperation with the Ministry of Digital Affairs. In this way, it obtains a certificate and access to the mObywatel Backsystem, a software that can be called mWeryfikator for companies, says Dalius Kubylis, Head of Technology Data Force Group, who headed the mObywatel programme for more than four years and was also an active participant in the eIDAS Expert Group, regarding the Toolbox for the European Digital Identity Wallet.
Currently, the formalities can take up to several months, there is a chance that they will be simplified later this year - the regulation mentioned in the law indicates this. However, not every institution has the knowledge or technological background to implement the Backsystem. Then there is the choice of infrastructure and the creation and maintenance of modules that allow communication with the software used in the institution.
This can be a barrier for smaller entities - clinics, offices, notary offices, insurance offices, but also for large companies that do not have the appropriate resources. This is where Data Force comes to the rescue, offering know-how, infrastructure and software.
- Data Force Group's expertise is based on the experience of its team of analysts and developers in implementing and integrating Big Data, artificial intelligence and machine learning solutions - in banking, telecommunications, sales, customer service and many other industries, says Paweł Szulakowski.
The company provides a comprehensive service for the implementation of mObywatel and applications that are being developed as part of the European Digital Portfolio. DFG's offer includes, among others:
● business and system analysis,
● mObywatel use case studies - offline and online,
● support with analysis of legal documentation,
● support with GDPR analysis,
● selection of data sets,
● development and implementation of the necessary IT infrastructure,
● maintenance of the Backsystem and other necessary applications,
● preparation of software to support online and offline verification.
- Our team has the competence to build complementary solutions using mObywateland any of the European Digital Wallets. We know that in this area the needs of banks, administration, telecoms and many other industries are great, and we have at least a few ready-made scenarios for them, says Paweł Szulakowski. - Data Force can also support digital portfolio providers with consulting, business and system analysis, solution architecture, provide technical and content support, adds Szulakowski.
Kontakt do sprzedawcy
Head of technology